Beyond the Walls
Park Street rises steeply from College Green, the grassed area beside the Cathedral and opposite the Lord Mayor's Chapel.
In 1740 Alderman Day was granted land to build a street 40 feet wide up to the parklands surrounding Royal Fort. The Georgian townhouses, designed by Thomas and William Paty, were gradually converted into shops during Victorian times.
In 1916 H H Wills purchased Royal Fort, in order to build the Physics Laboratory for the University which had begun in 1876 as a college occupying two houses in Park Row. University status was granted in 1909 and it has expanded increasingly ever since.
Looking down over Park Street from outside the University gives a sweeping view over the city.